This weekend, Woodpecker and his older, 5yrs old son decided it is time for a weekend in Nature again.
Actually my idea was to take young Mr.Woodpecker to his first alpine hut-weekend experience.
Checking short-term availability off DAV huts (=Deutscher Alpenverein, German Alpinist Association), the mountain Kampenwand close to lake Chiemsee was the target.
It’s an easy one to go with small kids, as most of the ascend can be done by a lovely, 60-year-old, retro-style cable car, the “Kampenwandbahn”.
The DAV hut up there is a self-catering hut, i.e. you get a key, they have fire wood, cold water and kitchen equipment up there, but the rest you bring yourself.
As always when going to the mountain, this little timeout was great:
- Two meters of fresh snow for a great shoveling andigloo-building experience, in other words a kid’s paradise.
- A fantastic dinner prepared by Mr.Woodpecker. I made it a habit to cook luxurious when being at huts in winter, as it gets dark at 5 p.m. anyway, so there is plenty of time to kill.
- These huts are always good to get into contact. About 15 other interesting and diverse people stayed up next to us. Among them 5 kids, who, along with little Mr.Woodpecker quickly retreated to the upstairs dormitory for an extended pillow fight, while I and the other adults had some nice beers together downstairs in the “Stube” (=living room). From the noise pouring downstairs, I sometimes feared the wooden ceiling would break, but it obviously is used to a lot of jumping kids.
- A chilly (3 degree Celsius) thus healthy night in the unheated dorm, enjoying my beloved down sleeping bag (recommended!). And the good feeling that our bodies are not yet fully softened by civilization.
- A great downhill ride with the sledge we brought with us. In fact, the slope was close to what it doable with a small boy on the lap and a 20kg rucksack on the bag…but we made it! 🙂
Total cost for 2 days, 2 persons:
- 11,50 EUR for cable car (kids are free).
- 12,00 EUR for night at hut (members tariff, kids are free).
- 30,00 EUR cost for car-ride.
Total: 53,50 EUR. Without the bloody car ride, just 23,50 EUR. (I do not count the food, we would have needed that anyway)
This is what I call value! And better fun than most 5 star hotels I have ever seen. 🙂
Highly recommended! (Also without kids)